Wednesday, February 3, 2016

A Merry Little Birthday Tree

     There is a birthday tradition in our family which we call the birthday tree.  Like a traditional Christmas tree, several weeks before my birthday I would bring out a little pink tabletop tree with a colorful string of lights, and my girly colorful ornaments.  The ornaments include pink and purple balls, Barbie, Disney Princesses, Strawberry Shortcake and even Care Bears themed!
       It all started sometime in my high school years or perhaps my early college days.  I went to Walmart for their after Christmas sales.  There I saw the cutest Disney Princess Christmas tree set for 75 percent off.  I couldn't resist it especially with the discount Barbie ornaments hanging up next to it.  What would a grown woman want with a children's Christmas tree you ask.  Well I've always been a bit of a child at heart.  I still love going down the Barbie doll aisle at the store.  When my daughter and I go we enjoy picking out the dolls we like best.  My husband teases that he has to drag us out of the toy section!
 


     After buying the tree and getting ornaments to go on it, I was ready to take it out and decorate.  However, it was the week after Christmas when a lot of people start taking down their Christmas tree and decorations.  I would have felt silly just putting my little pink one up.  That's when a light bulb went off in my head.  I remembered I have a birthday coming up in January so why not make this tree special and only put it out for my birthday!  Not only is it something I look forward to every year after Christmas but it makes birthdays that much more memorable.
    Well now that I'm a mom with 2 girls of my own I'm carrying down this fun birthday tradition to them. We enjoy decorating a tree year round for all of our birthdays except my husband...maybe we should get him a blue one with fishing and hunting themed ornaments! That would make a great gift idea for his next birthday!!  What kind of birthday traditions does your family celebrate?
    

No comments:

Post a Comment